[AT] Clutch Shudder

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu Jan 18 18:07:42 PST 2018

It is not an old tractor, but the design is the same.   I do not want
this to reflect badly on the tractor name as they are really good
tractors, but I think something went wrong in the manufacturing.
I bought a new MTZ/Belarus 125hp tractor w/loader.  It has a dual plate
dry disk clutch.   When actuating the clutch it will engage and as you
try to inch up to an attachment, as you feather the clutch, it works
fine, then when you totally disengage the clutch, the tractor will
shudder and jump and will run forward or back depending on the gear you
are in, and the brakes have to be applied to stop it.  It will quit the
shudder if you engage or "feather" the clutch.  As soon as you
completely disengage, the shudder occurs. I have greased and checked the
release bearing and found it to be good.   A bolt was loose that holds
the straps from the intermediate plate to the pressure plate.   The
weirdest thing I noticed was 3 bolts near an attachment bolt in the
pressure plate, not holding anything.  One bolt had a nut under the head
and 4 nuts threaded on the other side.  The one next to it had 2 nuts,
and the other had only one.   They did not hold anything, and did not do
anything to position the intermediate plate.
What are these bolts for?  Balance weights??
I think the pilot bearing may be frozen and turning the input shaft.
The tractor has a live PTO and  live hydraulics.  The hyd pump and PTO
are driven by a splined sleeve that fits into a splined hub in the back
of the pressure plate and connects to the hollow shaft that the
transmission input shaft goes thru.   It is possible that the hollow
shaft is stuck to the input shaft and trying to move the tractor.  The
only thing I have not tried is turning the PTO on while inching the
clutch to see if it shudders....

I think the only way to solve the problem is to split the tractor and
send the clutch to a good rebuilder to check the operation and the
balance. and also to check the input shafts...
Anyone experienced anything like this.?