[AT] Just wondering,,Cylinder numbering

Alan Nadeau ajnadeau1 at myfairpoint.net
Sat Jan 13 13:33:25 PST 2018

The only ones I am familiar with  are Chevy, International & Ford.

Chevy uses the front cylinder in the left bank as #1 and IIRC has the odd
numbered cylinders on the left bank, even #s on the right.

IHC, at least on the 304 & 345 boat anchors used the same layout but they
timed on #8 cylinder.  Was absolutely hilarious when I watched a GMC shop
mechanic trying to time an IHC engine off  #1.  I tried to tell him but he
wasn't buying it

Only Fud engine I have had to deal with was a 460 in a F-350.  Their
numbering started with #1 on the RIGHT front and went 1-2-3-4 on the right
and 5-6-7-8 on the left bank.  Once I figured out that if I superimposed the
cylinder numbering locations and firing order that GM used I could treat it
just like a GM engine.