[AT] New tractor woes..

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu Jan 11 21:29:54 PST 2018

The driver delivered my new MTZ/Belarus 1220 with loader today. I had to
pull  it off the trailer with another tractor after working for 2 hours
trying to start it.  The weather was a pain here today, 25deg with a
50mph wind gusting to 65.

The tractor has an inverter to charge the auxillary battery for 24 volt
start.  The 20 amp fuse on the small inverter box over the batteries was
blown.   I replaced it with another and it blew immediately.  The
ignition switch was on.  Turned off switch and replaced fuse.  Still no
cranking.  Worked battery disconnect switch several times in case of
corrosion in switch.  Still no crank.  Shorted across large terminals of
solenoid from battery to starter and got a very small spark.

Bought this from the manufacturer and the dealer where it was stored
swears tractor started with no problems 2 days ago in Sheridan Wyoming.
Truck driver tried to start tractor a few hours after it was loaded to
re-position it, and tells me the batteries were dead.  I did not know if
he engaged battery disconnect switch or not.  I have tried everything I
know,  I have been a farm equipment mechanic and truck mechanic for over
50 years. I have checked everything that should be somewhat obvious, and
nothing, I had to give up due to my feet freezing in this crazy weather.

I bought 2 new batteries later in the day, but have not had time to
install.  We tried jumping it from 2  fully charged batteries using #2
GA jumper cables, but no cranking.  The small spark I got at the starter
terminals concerns me.

I tried to contact MTZ in Canada 4 times, I got a secretary once. left
my number and never got called back.  I had to take the rent car back
that Farmers insurance loaned us because their client was at fault for
our accident.   They totaled our car and paid a small check yesterday
and now said since the claim was finished they wanted the car back
today, this was at 3pm.  I have 2 backup vehicles, a 99 Dodge mini van
and a 97 Expedition.  The mini van key stopped working due to wear and I
had to have a replacement one cut at the dealership today.   Now the
turn signals will intermittently quit working.  With the problems of
rear end collisions and the idiots on the road, my wife is scared of
driving without turn signals.   The Expedition has been at the shop
since Tuesday morning trying to repair the problem with Ford's anti
theft system.  There is no way around this system and they cannot find
the problem.   The information I have found online about this system
tells me that I need to find another 4WD vehicle now that I can depend on.

In addition to this I have to drive 30 miles each way every morning for
physical therapy for my back problems due to the accident.  This leaves
only a short 1/2 day of daylight to work with.  I fed cattle and checked
them at 7pm this evening in the dark...  They are supposed to have
started calving, still waiting.   I have to haul hay to my cows tomorrow
also.    The wind has died down and is only supposed to be 30mph
tomorrow with highs about 28deg F.   My new tractor is going to cost me
a new car, I can already see that coming!!  It would be nice if my new
tractor would run!!  This Belarus tractor has less electronics on it
than any production tractor, but the few that are there are still
causing me problems!!

Cecil in oKla