[AT] Cold snap

Herb Metz metz-h.b at comcast.net
Sun Jan 7 14:53:58 PST 2018

We had a 1938 Case CC narrow front end that was shedded under a huge
hackberry tree all of the time except in the coldest weather; then we would
drain the radiator after every use and store it in a dirt floor wooden shed.
One or two pulls on the crank and it would always start. In coldest weather
I would start it with canvas shudder raised, protecting the oval core
radiator, then poor the five gallon bucket of water in the radiator.  We
ground ear corn for the feedlot calves and four milk cows every couple
weeks.  One day was so cold that the radiator frozen up immediately, and had
to be replaced.
Neighbors did not keep engines well maintained and spent many hours dragging
tractors, trucks and cars around trying to get them started; this also
included starting small fires under F20's.
Herb(GA)