[AT] Cold snap

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Fri Jan 5 00:29:28 PST 2018

Cecil,

I know I'm a little slow in responding to your post but there is another place to put that key fob besides your suggestion.  It probably would work quite well here as it has been in the low 70's here all week. With lows in the high 40's and low 50's.  But getting back to reliability, I owned a 1956 Ford Crown Victoria very similar to and the same color as the one I have attached to this email that would start in any weather.  The winter of 1961/62 in NW Iowa was unusually brutal. In January/February of 1962 we had 26 days in a row where the temperature never got above 0 degrees  and typical night time temperatures were in the -40 degree F region.  Plus we had snow from previous months that was so deep it was difficult to drive on many roads and streets.  My 1956 Ford sat outside in that weather. No garage at all and would start every morning no matter how cold it got or how hard the wind was blowing.  So my car became the transportation for guys like me to get to work. Unfortunately one morning there had been a blizzard and I got into a snow bank and in the process of trying to get through it wiped out the automatic transmission in it.  Now my wife was expecting our second child any moment and since my car had been the only one in the neighborhood that would start, I panicked and went to the Ford dealer and bought a brand new 1962 Ford Fairlane 500.  I got it home and of course it too sat outside in the weather and of course that very evening was when my wife informed me it was time to go to the hospital.  Guess what that damned new car wouldn't start. Had to do a whole bunch of stuff to warm the engine up enough so that it would start. Never needed to do that on the 1956.  I was fit to be tied.  But I got the wife to the hospital in time and after that crisis settled down I was standing in the owner of the Ford Dealers Office sharing a piece of my mind. That car never started as good as the 1956.  They don't make em like that anymore and I still kick myself for ever trading in that car. There were two cars of that era that still get my heartbeat going a bit and that is the 1956 For Crown Victoria and the 1957 Chevrolet Belair Convertible.   Had I not got into antique tractors I probably would have owned one each of those again.

Dean VP
Apache junction, AZ