[AT] Cold snap

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Mon Jan 1 11:54:01 PST 2018

I realize that many of you are in colder weather than I am, but I just
found another quirk related to the cold.   My 97 Expedition would not
start about 2 ours ago.  The anti theft device engaged and it would
crank but not start  after it started and ran for about 2 seconds 3
times.   I also had this problem many years ago on the side of a
mountain in Branson Mo at 1am..  and 14 degrees.

I spent a while on the internet trying to find how to disable the PATS
Ford's Passive Anti Theft System.  Supposedly it cannot be disabled as
it un-grounds the injectors or the fuel pump.   I think it is the fuel
pump on this vehicle.

I brought the key inside and warmed it up about an hour then went back
outside to start the car and had no trouble.    My 2000 F-150 is having
the same trouble as I keep the key in the cab so I always have it...
What would I do if I had the key in my pocket and lived where Ralph
does??  The trouble at Branson years ago, my wife had the key in her
purse and it was 14 degrees....  I can only think of one place to put
the key that would stay warm in this cold, and I would rather it was put
there on the engineer who came up with this system!!!

The Just answer ford mechanic stated that the older vehicles had
p;problems with the system in cold weather...   Now that is reliability
for you!!!!

A great way to start the new year....

Cecil in OKla