[AT] Haywagon update

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu Feb 22 16:44:11 PST 2018

Spencer:

It really doesn't need to be welded continuously.  I would suggest a
1inch long weld every 6 inches or so.   Hopefully the groove is on the
bottom so water will drain...........
Always think of things like that after they are done..   If you want to
keep the groove apart while welding, I would insert he inner tube, and
then drive a welding rod in the groove.  or, a strip of 1/8 or 3/16 HRMS
would hold it open and then you would only have to weld on each side.
I would try to NOT push the strip down to where it was touching the
inner tube.  Twist the inner tube to be sure that it has plenty of
clearance.  If the groove is where  water will run into it, and you
don't want to weld continuously, Silicone sealant will seal it.  If you
do weld continuously, only weld about 2 inches at a time, then go to the
other end.  and after about 6 welds I would let it cool completely.   It
will curl due to the weld shrinkage in a heartbeat..    A mixture of
Never seize and grease would also help the inner tube to stay free.  If
there is any way you could replace that outer tube, it would probably
save time.  Around here we  use 2-3/8 and 2-7/8 oil patch tubing to make
sliding pipes.....

Just my $0.02.   In my earlier years, I did a lot of "thawing" frozen
parts.   Without my Dad around to help, and my joint problems, I don't
get a lot done any more.  It takes all my time just to take care of my
cows and keep my hay equipment running.

Cecil in OKla