[AT] 430v update

Spencer Yost syost at triad.rr.com
Sun Feb 18 20:45:14 PST 2018

As I mentioned before, i have an unevenness in idle I believed to be related to worn threads for the idle mixture screw. Keith Kinney's solution, to use JB Weld on oiled screw, is probably the right one. However to test my theory I used teflon tape.  I realize Teflon tape has its limitations, and is probably not the right permanent fix, but is a acceptable prototype for the fix. It turns out that I was right.  Idle speed is now steady.

I tooled around the farm on at 430, and it ran great. I was really excited. No smoking of any kind and the throttle responded exactly as I had hoped.

Since that was solved, I had time to work on the John Deere Hay wagon. As a quick reminder, I had the problem where the inner tube was rusted solid to the outer tubes. There was no way I could stretch the Haywagon out to the distance I need it for a 16 foot bed.  As I mentioned I have decided to go with Cecil's fix. That is to cut a slot in the outer tube.  I was really worried about cutting into the inner tube accidentally while doing this.  But that was false anxiety.  As soon as the metal on the groove of the outer tube became thin enough, it would POP!  open.  Really loud and noticeable. I guess the pressure from the rust was enough to open it up.  I doubt during the entire cut that my cut-off tool ever touched the inner tube.  I ran out of time to try to separate them, but I did go ahead and get some penetrating fluid and some protectant in the groove. We're supposed to have rain for the next few days and I don't have covered space available for it.

That's all for this weekend....

Spencer Yost