[AT] 430V update

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Sat Feb 10 20:15:03 PST 2018

I can't believe the list has been so quiet. I have managed a little tractor time over the last few weeks, but progress has been slow so I have not had much to post.

I finally finished the 430 carb rebuild. Upon reassembly I found that the load adjustment needle assembly housing was cracked. So another order had to be made to Robert's Carburetor, and I have the carburetor together and mounted.  If my problem is solved, I believe it was the load adjustment needle. Between the terrible dry rotted packing and the crack I seriously doubt that the upper throttle range was getting enough the fuel. So if I am right the hunt was not air, but was a lack of fuel.  We'll see. We have fairly constant rain right now. So I'm not going to be outside for a test fire.   I have lots of ventilation in the shop(2 personnel doors, 2 large garage doors and 8 windows), so tomorrow I may fire in the shop with all the doors open if I don't get a break from the rain.

The choke cable has been a problem since the beginning. It's just been sticking and so hard to operate the choke. So I spent the time to restore it since it is original, and even has the cloth coating  still in place.

So I pulled the inner choke wire out, and used gravity and low air pressure to force oil through the choke cable. It is absolutely amazing. New engine oil went in the top, and the oil that came out of the bottom look like it came out of an oil pan. Amazing how much dirt and crud had accumulated over the years.  There was some very minor, light rust on the inner wire. So I used a little emery cloth to clean that up as well.  I just finished mounting the choke cable tonight and it operates like new.

Hope everyone is Ok

Spencer Yost