[AT] Cecil onan problem

ivan ivancou at atlanticbb.net
Wed Feb 28 15:56:24 PST 2018

     Cecil, I seem to recall you saying that you have several onan
generators around . You ever tear  an engine apart ?  I started out to
make one out of two ,one had good crank but bad block other one was good
block ,bad crank . I had a really hard time getting the crank out after
getting the gear off , cleaned everything ,new main bearings pressed in
. Cant get the crank the whole way into the gear side bearing . It binds
up before going into the bearing the whole way and wont turn over .  I
put in new std bearings , crank measures std size  but it wont slide in
. Bent crank ?  All my years of building engines I've never ran into
this .  I even went as far as to chuck the crank into the lathe and
using a file just rolled the bearing journal on the edge only and then
worked it with 600 grit to buff .   Any ideas ?   I'm about to chuck the
things into the scrap bin and go buy another one of those Harbor Freight
chondas to keep as a spare although I know the onan is way superior to
them .     Ivan