[AT] OT Swedish tobacco farming

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Fri Sep 29 11:03:02 PDT 2017

Mattias,  I didn't need the translation.  I feel like I have a PhD in
tobacco.  LOL.  What your video clip shows is similar to the way
"Burley" tobacco is handled.  Actually it's kind of a hybrid between
burley which is air dried on the stalk and flue cured which used to
be "tied" bundles of leaves.  Now days here it's all mechanical
and highly automated.  I looked for some youtube videos of recent
harvest of flue cured tobacco but didn't find anything I thought
would adequately tell the story.

In my days on the tobacco farm we pulled (picked or cropped) the leaves
(different terminology for the same method depending on what area you lived
in)
two or three leaves at the time starting at the bottom of the stalk and
working up.
most plants had somewhere between 18 and 21 leaves or so and the process
took
about 6 weeks. The plants were as much as 6' tall and the leaves vastly
larger than
anything in the video you shared.

Charlie