[AT] Replacement engine question

Ivan ivancou at atlanticbb.net
Sun Sep 24 18:13:06 PDT 2017

On 9/24/2017 1:53 PM, Greg Hass wrote:
> The engine in my skid steer blew up last spring at 140 hrs. . It was a
> V-twin Honda of 23 hp. . However it was 9 years old so no warranty ( I
> have found warranties only protect the company,not the customer. Anyway,
> I need a replacement engine, because I had modified the loader for a
> Honda, I think I will stick with one. Our local Honda dealer doesn't
> seem to want business as I gave him a list of what I needed and he said
> he would get back with me the next day; well that was 3 months ago. This
> is the same guy who told me it would be $50 to start my weed wacker and
> when I went to get it , it was $90. I know Northern sells them, but I
> need someone knowledgeable to make sure I order what I need. Does anyone
> know of a good place that sells the larger Honda engines.
>        Greg Hass

  Greg , I have a 4120 international that is supposed to have a 16 hp
kohler on it . It was missing when I bought it . I ended up replacing it
with a 13 hp from harbor freight that so far has held up . But its only
a year old .  From what I've read parts dont really exist but for the
price throw it away and get another .        It has its quirks , wont
start without the choke , and is cold blooded  and they recomend to run
it out of gas to shut it off .   Also high test gasoline . I have a
place here where I can get 91 octane lead free which is all I run in any
small engine now and havent had any fuel problems .     Even my second
machine with the onan 18 hp that is supposed to run on low octane  runs
better on it .

  I've heard of small engine warehouse ,they have experience of putting
newer engines into old stuff with the old flat head designs . They say
the newer oh valve replacements are bigger due to the design change .  Ivan