[AT] 430V update

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Fri Sep 22 20:24:21 PDT 2017

Thanks Dean,

I plan on continuing to run it at short intervals until I can tolerate the smoke.  It's pretty bad, though improved, right now.  I did not get a chance to run it today.

I'm hoping tomorrow, as it improves every time.   Then I plan on spreading manure this weekend with it.   That should get the temperature up since it will be about an hour worth of work and it's still in the 80s here in NC.  It's good advice to cover the radiator.  When it comes to gas engines, i don't  ever think to do that.  I do that occasionally to diesels in the winter to improve fuel economy.  But I haven't done that with gasoline engines. I have an infrared thermometer so I will keep an eye on temps to see if I need to cover it.

By the way, my exhaust flange came in the mail from Jensales today.  John Deere wanted ~$108.00 for that flange.  $28 and some change  after shipping from Jensales(Chinese  I'm sure but decent quality).   But the valve cover gasket was reasonable from John Deere, so I bought that from them.  It's been a few years since I dealt with John Deere on antique tractor parts.  I've forgotten about the craziness in pricing.

PS:  The coolant is good.  Someone clearly flushed and refilled within the last few years and I see no evidence of leaks.

Spencer Yost