[AT] 430V

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Mon Sep 18 15:41:05 PDT 2017

Spencer,

Guard those fenders with your life. The fenders on the 430 V are different than any of the other 430 or 420 versions. But they are just sort of a clamshell design not all that exotic.  The squared rounded fenders were not used on the Dubuque built ag tractors only on the Waterloo built 30 series.  They were called "Deluxe Fenders" with built in lights.  Duque didn't offer that kind of crazi9ness!  😊 The Deluxe Fenders would also fit on the 20 Series Waterloo Built tractors but purists don't think that is Kosher since they were not available during the 20 Series production run.  This discussion reminds me of a story about my Dad, when the JD 20 series tractors were announced. Now remember my Dad went through the faming transitions of horses to unstyled JD's to styled JD's up until 1956 when the 20 Series was announce. So he had 30 some years where all the tractor hoods he had ever owned were painted completely Green. No other color,  other than an occasional small decal.   So one time someone asked my DAD why he hadn't purchased a 20 series tractor?  "Never going to buy one. I'm running a farm here not a circus!  He absolutely detested the yellow stripe on the side of the hood. I don't know what it was about it but it really set him off. As a teenager from that point on if I wanted to get my Dad's heart going I would suggest that it was about time we bought a JD 720 to replace our JD 70.  That would get him going for a while. He finally got on to my little game and then the response was not printable.

Now, I cannot tell this story without telling you why my Dad was a JD Tractor guy.  I'll tell you the second reason first. 2.) Economy of running and repair.   But the first reason is one I will never forget because it was one of those times when father and son were having one of those one on one relaxed conversations sitting on the ground eating lunch with our backs against tractor tires.  Wind blowing, dust in our faces,  hands dirty,  eating sandwiches.  I asked my Dad, How come we own JD Tractors?  Now remember my Grandfather lost his complete farm and the farms he was trying to buy for his upcoming children during the depression.  Here is my Dad's answer to my question.  1.) "During the depression we couldn't afford to make payments to john Deere on equipment we had purchased before the depression hit. John Deere never repossessed equipment from the farmers. They were told to pay what they could afford and when they could.... pay it off.  By that simple gesture they were guaranteed a lifetime customer from my DAD. Very simple.  No features, prices, HP or creature comfort would change his mind until the yellow strip came along! That didn't cause him to buy another brand.  He just didn't buy another tractor until the JD New Generation tractors came out. He skipped the whole 20 and 30 Series JD tractors. Do you suppose he really didn't like the yellow stripe?

PS:  Other than the color excuse he used, he flat didn't want to buy more or different tractors during this time. The 20 and 30 Series Tractors were oriented toward the Three Pont implements and he didn't want to buy all new implements.  And he was very happy with the JD70 we had which was an animal.  He also had purchased quite a bit more land and he just wanted to be free of debt. One of his other statements that has stuck in my mind, for over 50 years, whenever  I would ask to buy another tractor:  "We are not going to be equipment poor on this farm"  End of discussion.  As rough and tumble and gruff at times as my Dad was, I still really miss him and he's been gone since 1962. He got killed on the very first new New Generation tractor he bought.

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA 98290