[AT] Batteries — 6 Volt now generators

vschwartz1 at comcast.net vschwartz1 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 17 17:47:40 PDT 2017

Tyler; I think that your problem is not the generator or the battery. I would first remove the battery cables and clean the posts and the inside of the clamps After that check/clean the other end of both battery cables. I think you are suffering from a intermittent good connection. It may even read okay on a meter but will not carry a sufficient load for the starter.
My brother suffers from the same ailment as you. He cannot see well. The starter would not turn or make any sound, the volt meter reading was okay. He removed the starter motor, replaced the starter motor switch, still nothing. I was helping him diagnose the problem and noticed a very weak spark at the ground cable connection. We cleaned the connection and all was well.
I think you have a ground connection problem.
Gil

Hi all,
While we are on the subject of batteries, I wanted to bring the
generator into the discussion.
Last year (2016) when I had a ton of work done on the Oliver, we had
to do some work to the charging system.
Being the detail person I am, I chose to put a new 12 volt generator
on instead of putting it to an alternator.
Ever since, I have had no real issues with it.
But since last weekend, just before we took it to a tractor show, I
went to start it, and, "crap, it's dead!"
I ran it about 2 miles down the road that morning, but maybe for only
about 9 or so minutes.
I thought, "Well maybe I didn't run it long enough." So we gave it a
fast charge on the battery charger, loaded it up, and took it there.
When I unloaded it, I made sure it ran for at least a half hour, as I
drove it around on the grounds.
Since the parade was longer at the show this year, it ran for quite
sometime there also. Had no problems starting it either day. Brought
it home, and still had no issues.
Monday night I cleaned the plugs in it, and put it back together. I
started it and let it run for about 3 minutes.
But here we go again...
Friday night I took it for quite a drive. It started just fine, and I
ran it for at least 20 minutes, maybe 25.
Since my dad was unloading a few pieces of machinery, I wanted to
wait and put it away until after he was done with the skidloader. So I
parked it by the shed, and shut it off. At the time, the amp gauge
said 8 amps. Sometimes it does 10 at low idle, but then it seems when
the battery gets full it backs off to 8.
Anyway, when it was time to put it in the shed, I go to start it,
and, low and behold, it's dead.
Sometimes, when it doesn't want to go immediately, I turn the
ignition switch off, wait about 10 secconds, turn it back on, hit the
starter button, and away it goes.
Woops, not that time around. So we put it on the fast charger for
about 2 minutes, and then I tried it again. Fired up right away.
So when I got to the shed, we put the trickle on it.
So I'm wondering, what could it be?
The battery isn't that old. I've driven it on 40 mile trips before,
and have had no problems. I know that it could be the brushes, but
that generator hasn't had maybe 150 hours on it.
My neighbor has a volt meeter he's going to let me use to put on the
battery. What should the readings be if the generator is charging?
Will starting it with the volt meeter be a valid test since its been
on the trickle charger?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks much!
Take Care,