[AT] Flat belt vs. pulley width?

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 14 17:48:46 PDT 2017

Tyler sounds like you just had mechanical failure from a lot of use
concerning the wobble. Now excessive slop in a shaft fit can also cause
premature wear on the seals. Assuming the  mechanical slop has been
taken care of and new seals have been installed, you should be trouble
free until the seal deteriorates with age--and that could be 30 plus
years. I have seen shafts that were really worn down where the seal rubs
resulting in the seal leaking/sweating sooner than is normally expected.
In your case if everything is nice and tight regarding the shaft and
bearings, I'd just run the belt pulley a couple times a year for just a
couple minutes, keeps oil splashed around and will help prevent anything
from rusting.

For what its worth, I think every tractor here with a belt pulley
leaks--some need new seals.

John Hall