[AT] Wuz 430V, Now Shotgun Starters

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Tue Sep 5 15:28:49 PDT 2017

The concept was still alive and well - at least on jet engines -when I worked on Uncle's KC-135s in the sixties. They retrofitted the No. 4 engines (J-57) to enable fast starting of the planes without any ground equipment. Used to crack open the cowling and insert a controlled burn gunpowder cartridge about the size of an overgrown coffee can for firing from the cockpit. It saved time in getting ready in a hurry when we were on the SAC alert pad ready for war. Worked slick, and as stated with the Field Marshall, almost never failed to start. Spit out a worthy plume of black smoke as it spun up the engine.