[AT] 430V

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Mon Sep 4 05:58:48 PDT 2017

Greg, we have freed up a few stuck valves without pulling the head. As
long as its minor flash rust/dried oil then you can. What we do is to
remove or roll engine until rocker arm is out of the way. Spray brake
cleaner to remove dried oil from the stem, then spray you favorite
penetrating oil. Lightly tap the valve stem with a small hammer. Once it
moves a 1/16 or so, grab the stem with some vise grips or something to
twist it. Keep working back and forth and a lot of the time the valve
spring will push the valve back at you. Couple things to remember, don't
drive it so far in that the piston will hit it if you roll the engine
over. Assuming it does free up, make sure it is not sluggish or you
could cause a push rod to jump out of place. From my experience with
this if it isn't freed up in just a few minutes, you'll need to remove
the valve to properly clean things. Be sure to clean off any burrs on
the stem created by the vise grips before you get down to the guide.

John Hall