[AT] Fwd: Re: 430V

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Sep 3 19:32:14 PDT 2017

Not to be discouraging, but I'm with Cecil. My luck has only had one
engine with a stuck piston to free up without removing the head--it was
in a 2 man Poulan chainsaw. 12-20 Case, 10-20 Titan, IH ID-9, Oliver 70,
John Deere M, Farmall M, 1 1/2hp Lauson, small air cooled (Pincor I
think), at least 1 Briggs, Continental IY-69 power unit---all of these
required at bare minimum pulling the head and oil pan. Some we put right
back together, some had to have new rings/valve jobs, some had busted
blocks and were sent away as parts machines.

The soaking is certainly going to make life easier and won't hurt
anything. Maybe Spencer will get lucky and this one breaks loose. I get
the feeling Spencer is not interested in dumping a ton of money in the
machine. I'd be willing to bet a set of rings, gaskets and rod bearings
will get him up and running--assuming the engine was in good shape when
it rusted up. Not too many years back I did just that an old 55 Deere
combine that had deteriorated cylinder sleeve o-rings. I never faced the
head or ground the valves. We marked the sleeves and put them back in
the same orientation. Put in new rings and rod bearings. It still works
fine. The combine wasn't/isn't worth doing a "proper" engine rebuild.
Its been ran over 150 acres since then and is doing just fine.

Anyway, just my thoughts/experiences. Spencer keep plugging away at it.
I don't think you are going to make it to the hay field this year, but
one way or another you ought to have this tractor there in the spring.

Silly question, you HAVE verified its the pistons that are stuck and not
other things also, correct? We've all seen Hit and Miss engines with
welded rocker arms from a stuck valve, an I folded up 2 push rods on my
T-20 crawler because I didn't pull the valve cover to see if the valves
were free.

John Hall