[AT] 430V

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 03:20:01 PDT 2017

You are correct about the gearing Spencer. I learned that at a very young
age. Here on the farm we pull started a lot of vehicles, especially in cold
weather. It didn't take me long to realize that if I put the tractor being
pulled in low gear most of the  time the back wheels would just slide but
if I put it in high gear the engine would turn.
I was too young to be directly involved back in the late 1940's when we had
the McCormick 10-20 which didn't have electric start but I recall my folks
using the 9N Ford to pull-start it in cold weather. After the new TO-20
Ferguson arrived the 10-20 didn't get much use so my father traded it for a
good used car.
When you had several vehicles you used to concentrate on always having one
that would start so you could start the others all winter.  :-)
 An older good friend of my father was in Russia during WW-I. He used to
tell of the army having a lot of John Deere built trucks and how they would
always keep at least one running 24 hours so it could be used to pull-start
the other at any time during the bitter Russian winter.
We had a long time neighbor that had a steep hill between his barn-lot and
a good sized creek. His stuff usually didn't run very good, let alone
start. His wife was a school teacher so he was usually working alone. He
would park his main tractor, an Oliver 77 then, at the top of the hill each
day so he could let it roll down the hill to start it. My father once asked
him what he would do if it didn't start and he joked that he would just get
off and let it roll on into the creek...  :-)
Different times...

.