[AT] IGNITION advice needed

Ronald Cook ron at lakeport-1.com
Sun Oct 15 10:33:29 PDT 2017

A friend brought me an A John Deere with carburetor problems.  He wanted
me to get it running right for him.  The carb was no problem and the
tractor runs decent until it shuts off unexpectedly.  Sometime in the
past, someone has converted the WICO mag to operate like a distributor.
This is a 1948 model, so it is 12-volt.   It is using an external coil
that is not internally resisted.  Just a hot 12-volt source from a
switch to the coil.  It gets hot.  Will this set up work alright if I
put a resistor in the system or get an internally resisted coil?  If it
were mine, I would put a distributor on it and it would be fine. Or
overhaul the mag so it would work.

Ron Cook, Salix, IA