[AT] Logging

Alan Nadeau ajnadeau1 at myfairpoint.net
Thu Oct 5 17:10:08 PDT 2017

An excellent book on early logging in No. America is "Endless Tracks in the
Woods" by James A. Young & Jerry D. Budy.  Very picture heavy with good text
describing the way ingenuity made up for a (early) lack of equipment.
Coverage from horse drawn "Big Wheels" to the steam winches and tractors and
on to the early use of crawler tractors.  Should be available on the used
book market but probably a bit pricey & well worth it, IMO.  Seems like I
first saw the book when I was visiting Max McFadden at his place in
Delaware.

Al Nadeau

PS:  Lots of pics of the sort of logs Grant described, some of them wider
across than a man is tall.