[AT] OT Swedish tobacco farming

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Oct 3 11:16:43 PDT 2017

Mattias,  ever since about 1970 or so the farmers here use a machine to
cut the top out of the plant and remove the flowers.  It is a combination of
a blower and a saw.  The blower blows the top leaves down out of the way
and the saw cuts the flower and top stem of the plant out.    It has to be
carefully adjusted because the leaves in the very top of the plant are more
valuable than some of the ones down low so you don't want to cut it off too
low.  By the same token, you don't want to leave a bunch of really small
leaves
in the top that aren't really marketable.

Charlie