[AT] Ford 3000 Spindles

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat Nov 25 18:38:04 PST 2017

I would be pretty certain that they will need reaming after pressing in
the bushings.  Are the spindles worn also?   I have welded the spindle
shafts and turned them on a lathe.  It takes about a 16in swing lathe or
larger unless you have a gap bed.  You can get an expandable reamer on
Ebay or from Wholesale Tool, but they are pretty tricky to keep from
chattering.  I think it takes about a 3/16 reamer.  You have to insert
the reamer entirely into the bushing then slowly increase the size.
There are expandable reamers that spread out in the center and you move
them through the bushing, and then there are the ones that expand
parallel by collars on each end of the reamer.  A pilot reamer is the
best for this work, but they are expensive.  Sometimes you can rent one.
There is an ad on Home Shop Machinist magazine for reamer rental.

Here is a link to a set on Ebay that would probably work.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Craftsman-9-pc-Vintage-Critchley-Adjustable-Expansion-Reamers-With-Pilots/162723575939?hash=item25e314b883:g:cD4AAOSwCMFZ7mjZ

   Back in the late  60's it cost about $75 per spindle for reaming, and
another $150 to turn the spindles after I welded them myself.   That
was  before I bought the equipment to rebuild a massey front end, they
are just like the Ford.  I haven't rebuilt one in 20 years though.   My
7030 Allis is needing it bad...

Cecil in OKla