[AT] Ford 3000 Spindles

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Sat Nov 25 20:05:44 PST 2017

If they are bushings, more than likely they will need to be reamed.  While the reamer is the right tool for the job, and I always advocate the right tool, I do know the reamers are expensive; so I have made do by using a brake cylinder hone.   I think it's safe for low speed applications like tractor spindle bearings.

It's pretty straight forward but like anything else take your time, use plenty of diesel for lubricant, , keep the hone speed down, be consistent in movement and most importantly always remember there is one second where the bushing will still be too small and the next second it will be too large.  So stop frequently and check clearances.

Heavy truck king pin bushings, etc. I would never do this.  But I have done this a number of times with success on tractors and once on a old pick up truck we just used for for firewood a few times a year.  The bottom line is the bushings are so cheap(usually) it's might be worth the experiment  before shelling  out for a reamer.

Spencer Yost