[AT] 430V update

deanvp deanvp at att.net
Mon Nov 20 19:53:20 PST 2017

Do not and I mean DO NOT buy any type of antique tractor gauge from JD.  Only buy completely original type gauges including bezels from Evergreen Restoration in Spooner, Wisconsin. The owners name is Jerry Trcka. The are absolute duplicates of what was sold with a  JD 430V in 1959 or 1960. Many vendors and possibly including JD sell generic gauges that are prices of junk made in India. Yes, they are less expensive but they won't be correct and have a terrible reputation and a very high failure rate Jus give him your model, manufacturing date and Serial number and you will get a guage that is 100% correct.  He is the go to supplier for informed JD owners.
-------- Original message --------From: Spencer Yost <yostsw at atis.net> Date: 11/20/17  6:37 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: Antique tractor email discussion group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com> Subject: Re: [AT] 430V update
Got the manifold off, easy as pie. The manifold and cylinder head surfaces were in pretty good shape. After filing I can't even get a .002" inch feeler gauge under the straight edge on either. So I am definitely good to go. There were a few high spots (picture below).

Another question:  The water temperature gauge does not work on this tractor.   I assume it's a Bourden(sp?) tube type gauge?  There's no electrical to it so I assume that's all it  can be.

With the manifold off, it is so easy to fix/replace the gauge, I'm tempted to go ahead and do that. I've always told you can't fix them and from what I understand from how they work that sounds likely.    Anyone have any ideas or know of good replacements?  All the aftermarket I can find don't have a John Deere logo.  That will not do for this tractor!  I'll price the dealer tomorrow but  Im sure it will be pricey since the logo is on it.  I had one fixed on an antique car, but they are no longer in business.  This was 15 years ago and it was pricey then. I probably could buy one from John Deere cheaper.

Thanks as usual in advance!

Spencer Yost

Spencer Yost