[AT] General questions

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 05:59:34 PST 2017

I have always been an "If it moves it needs lubing" person and not likely
to change now.  :-)
That does not always mean oil. In many places it means graphite paint
including some chains. In some cases I used graphite paint and then add a
little oil later.
I used to buy large bottles of powered graphite from the John Deere dealer
and used it on a lot of places where oil would just attract dirt and grit.
I also used it in the planter boxes to lube the works there.
Back in the ear corn picker days we  used to use an old pump  up sprayer
with the tip drilled out to allow applying used oil to the chains from a
safe position while the picker was running at idle speed.
I used to have a John Deere 3 blade 507 (I think that was its model #)
mower with a large roller chain drive from the gearbox forward to the front
quill. For years I would stop periodically and pour a little used oil on
the top of the large  gear on the bottom of the gearbox and then would
start the mower slowly and let the oil spin out to the chain and mow
another few acres. Finally I wised up and attached a piece of old EVA
tubing (from the anhydrous applicator) that ran up the 3 point frame and
along the top-link and up to the back of the seat. I carried a large old
detergent squeeze bottle of used oil in the tool box and could just put my
foot on the clutch a few seconds and squirt a little oil into the top of
the tube and go on. The oil would continue to dribble out of the tube for a
couple of minutes. I never worried much about the mess, a little K-1 and an
old paint brush cleaned it up pretty well.
Now if it is roller chain you can use pre-lubed and sealed chain but the
sprockets still wear.

As far as looking for a vacuum leak I just use a can of carb cleaner with a
tube, just not on a really hot engine.
I have been known to temporarily stop a vac leak with a little high temp
RTV silicon applied to the outside.

.