[AT] another piece moving on

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Nov 12 15:20:06 PST 2017

As I have shared before, we are slowly beginning the process of
liquidating some of our antique collection. Earlier this year I sold
dad's threshing machine, yesterday I sold the grain binder. I was quite
pleased that it went to a collector about 2 hours east of here. It will
be parked under a shed on concrete. The guy doesn't know if he wants to
make the necessary repairs to the canvas to get it running or not, but
at least it is preserved by a collector (guy has about 15 old Deere
tractors). The binder was a 7 foot cut IHC horse drawn machine. We owned
it for right at 30 years, and used it annually for about 16. If you have
never gotten to see a binder run, take advantage of the chance should it
present itself. They are quite complicated regarding how many moving
parts one has. Most of you can relate to a hay baler and the "mysteries"
of a properly working knotter. Now imagine that same knotter tying over
30 times a minute without fail in an 80+ year old machine (yes I have
timed it several times). Anyway, I feel we did right by the hobby in
that we put this machine back in working order and kept it maintained
before finding a new caretaker for it.

John Hall