[AT] OFF Topic -- Now Contemplating Our Navel

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Nov 2 23:06:58 PDT 2017

Cecil,

I completely agree with your assessment. I taught all four of our children (2 boys, 2 girls)  all the basics of automobile ownership, including changing their own oil and filter, checking and replacing the other fluids and filters on schedule.  Minor tune-ups, windshield wiper replacement, etc.  Basic Carpentry and plumbing skills.  When my two boys moved into High School, I became concerned they might have too much time on their hands and get into drugs or worse.  So I made a suggestion to them.  I would buy a pickup and loan them the money (time payback required) to buy lawn maintenance equipment so they could start a lawn maintenance business. They were required to first pay me back what they owned me keeping only 10% of the after costs earnings and once the equipment was paid for they were required to put a minimum of 50% of their after cost income in the bank and they could have complete control of the other 50%.  They got to use the pickup free of charge but they had to feed it and maintain it. Somewhat to my surprise they took the bait hook line and sinker.

We happened to live in an area where there were many affluent owners who provided them with more work than they could handle inside of a month. First they would bid jobs by the hour, then they found out they could make more money if they bid a total job price. It wasn't long before they were not only in the lawn mowing business but doing other maintenance such as plumbing and electrical work.  It wasn't long before I realized I had created a monster. They were working their butt off but they also were rolling in disposable money. So I became concerned about them having too much money to spend but I reluctantly didn't try to change the agreement.

To make a long story shorter, for three summers this is what they did.  They truly did stay out of trouble, learned a whole lot about running a business and had more spending money than they should have had.  But it turned out ok,  Both went to college and graduated as Engineers and one went back to get his MBA.  A Mechanical Engineer that also got a MBA and the other a Masters in Optical Physics.

They did have a shop in High School but it was a joke, unfortunately.  It wasn't staffed or funded properly because funds were being directed toward computer education. I even volunteered to do night shop classes in the High School.  Night Classes in High School???  You have to be crazy.

Bottom line my for children were prepared for the real world when they left home. One daughter, a stay at home mother,  who can't be out in the sun, does all the maintenance and repairs on their home. Ask her anything about Air Conditioning, furnaces, electrical wiring, plumbing. Kitchen appliances, cabinets, etc,  she has learned all about them and does most of the work herself.

So where did these kids get their basics training. It sure as hell wasn't the shop in High School but it should have. Now with 9 Grandchildren I think only One of the 9 may have acquired the basic skills their parents were taught. I'm embarrassed to admit that one male Grandson was asked to mow the lawn because his mother was ill but was told to check the oil in the mower before mowing. He filled it to the top.  Needless to say he fogged up the neighborhood.  But he recently Graduated with Honors with a dual major, Computer Science and Math.  Brilliant but no basic skill set. He is learning now however because he has to as he is on his own. 7 of the 9 have Graduated from College and most have a technical degree of some sort.  One in college and the last a Junior in High School.  One Granddaughter I am particularly proud of, graduated with a Mechanical Engineering degree and now works for Ingersoll Rand and is in their management training program.  In middle school and High School she drove her parents crazy because she had ADD.  Now here I want to compliment her parents and the High School teachers and  staff. They really went to work to get her the help she needed. It was a private High School which probably made all the difference. Between Medication and counseling in High School and then a couple years in Community College she was able to settle down and fully concentrate for long periods. She then went on to a full University and got her Engineering degree. And now she is an intense Engineer working long hours not necessarily because she has to but it keeps her brain engaged. She has come a long way.

But the bottom line of all this is we cannot depend on the school system at all anymore for life skills training.  For example I think all High School kids should be trained on owning and maintaining a home AND even more importantly several credit hours on human relationships and marriage. The Churches used to play a heavy role in this but as society has become almost totally agnostic so that influence is gone as well.

I better quit.

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA 98290