[AT] First cutting in the books

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Wed May 17 17:48:43 PDT 2017

Looks like some nice hay, turned out pretty good as well.

We baled 135 bales off of our smaller pcs this afternoon. Everything
went flawless until the baler switched to a different twine I picked up
at my Deere dealer. After 1/2 hour of fooling with it trying to get it
to feed (one ball didn't want to unspool very well and the twine had fat
spots), I robbed the little I had left in my old Super 66 and put it in
the "new" baler--problem solved.

How was the quality of your hay? Ours didn't turn out the greatest and
we are having trouble with chickweed. I've got 2 acres that is infested
with it real bad. Weird thing is I reseeded and limed last fall,
fertilized this spring, and there is just no grass in places. Honestly,
some of it can be mowed with a big lawn mower. I'll bale it anyway and
haul it off the field, maybe the fescue will grow now that the hot
weather should be slowing up the chickweed.

John Hall