[AT] Oil Vacuum- Common sense solution?

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Sun May 14 20:40:01 PDT 2017

> Thirty years ago I bought a bunch of miscellaneous tools and equipment
> from a retiring heavy equipment mechanic at his yard sale.  Included
> was a clever oil sucker which worked on the venturi principle.
> Probably the mechanic shopbuilt it.  He said he used it on hydraulic
> systems, fuel tanks, etc.  Quick disconnect hooked to an air source, a
> barb fitting for the suction hose, a barb fitting for the discharge
> hose.  Have used it often - one of those things you never realize how
> handy it is until you actually have one.  I'll drag it out and send
> you more info and photos if you want.

> I'd love to have more info on that, Richard.

I was mistaken, not shopbuilt, commercially made.  Air-Vac Vacuum
Transducer Pump Model TD260M.

http://www.air-vac-store.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AS&Category_Code=TD

Have used mine mostly on hydraulic fluids and diesel, but higher
viscosity like 90 wgt. gear oil runs slower.  Since mine was virtually
free, can't complain.

Regarding the mention of shop vacs and flammable fluids, wasn't there a
thread on ATIS about 20 years ago about some guys who for kicks would
scavenge old Electrolux vacuums, take 'em out to a remote area, stick
their hose in a pan of gas, and then switch them on remotely with a long
extension cord?  They'd supposedly bet on how many seconds went by
before the fireball appeared.

Richard