[AT] Oliver all done

Joe Hazewinkel jahaze at aol.com
Sun May 7 04:51:33 PDT 2017

Any productive day with an Oliver is a good day.  Glad to hear it's ready to roll.

Enjoy, Joe

Sent via mobile device

On May 6, 2017, at 11:25 PM, Tyler Juranek <tylerpolkaman at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,
I know I don't post much here anymore, and part of it is because I am
quite busy with starting my own business, my internet radio program,
etc. But with the tractor ride season on the way, I thought I would
post something on here.
Awhile back I mentioned that the steering on my oliver 88 needed some
serious work on the steering mechanism if I ever hoped to shift into
6th and drive it down the road safely.
So a few weeks ago, (maybe 2) my father and I took it to a neighbor's
place about three miles from us. He said he would love to work on it
for me.
With my visual impairment, the Olivers are a little harder for me to
do a lot with on my own, especially big repairs like that.
Anyway, he took it all apart, and found that two bearings had worked
themselves off of the input shaft. So he put two new bearings in it.
So last Tuesday night I got home from work, and if there wasn't an
oliver in the shed already...
So with all the rain we have been having here I haven't been able to
get it out and do anything with it until today. We had about a 75
degree day here.
My father and I finished putting in the garden, then we took it out
for a spin, about five miles west or so.
The steering never acted up once. So she's all ready to go for the 50
mile tractor ride I participate in each June. Yay!
Dad also commented about the loud whine in the tranny. I remember it
always being there...
So I researched on the net tonight and found out that the Oliver 88's
used a spur gear tranny, as well as the other fleetlines. When Oli got
into the 880's and those models, the switched to a different type of
gear, I don't recall which one now.
I also found that the earlier tractors of the fleetlines whine more
than the ones after the 1950 model year.
So it probably made the loud whine since day one...
With my hearing loss, my audiologist has always told me to get
earplugs. Until today, I haven't really taken it much into
consideration. But now its time... :)
So it was a very good antique tractor day around here. I am certainly
looking forward to the 50 mile ride on June 10.
Take Care,
Tyler Juranek
IA