[AT] IHC H water pump packing

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 18:01:01 PDT 2017

I used my H a few weeks ago, then noticed the front tires were wet.  It was about 4 quarts low, so I pressure tested the system.  At first, I couldn't find a leak, then I found a slow drip off a fan blade.  After tear down, I found the packing nut was just finger tight, which is probably the cause.  I tightened it about 1/2 turn and couldn't turn the pump shaft with my fingers, backing off about 1/6 or a little less lets me turn the shaft.
How tight should I tighten the packing nut?

Len Rugen

rugenl at yahoo.com