[AT] IHC H water pump packing

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Mon May 1 18:54:41 PDT 2017

In my old days as a maintenance engineer for a hospital, the chief
engineer had about 50 yrs experience when I came on board. He would
tighten the packing nut until the shaft would only "sweat"a drop or two
every 15 minutes.   He told me that this kept the packing from burning
the shaft and still held water.   This was the procedure on all the
circulation systems for heating, cooling, and hot water.  I would
tighten it until it might stay damp, but not have any real noticeable
leak overnight.   As long as you do not have any animals that would lick
the antifreeze, then there isn't a problem.

Cecil in oKla