[AT] OT, Bogus horsepower ratings

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Fri Mar 31 15:37:16 PDT 2017

The same happened here. My cousin wanted to buy the biggest compressor
he could that would run on 110 volts so he could us it in his dairy barn
to run an air impact wrench (before electric impacts); I advised him not
to do that as big motors and long extension cords don't get along. I
advised him to go with a small compressor for the barn, but of course he
didn't listen. He bought a 3 hp. unit from Quality Farm and Fleet. The
first thing we found out was the compressor would not start below 50
degrees unless you warmed it up. Second, I had an old sears unit with a
true 2 hp. motor which used 12 amps. on 220. His 3 hp. unit used 8 amps.
on 220 which meant my 2 horse was 50% bigger than his "3" horse; which
meant his 3 horse was only 1 1/2 horse. To make a long story short we
ended up buying a real 3 horse motor and putting that on the compressor
curing the problem.
     Greg Hass