[AT] OT, Bogus horsepower ratings

Alan Nadeau ajnadeau1 at myfairpoint.net
Fri Mar 31 08:33:05 PDT 2017

 I got caught up in the scam over compressor HP

> That was another item they were sued over. With the electrics they would
>  take the amp readings of the motor with the rotor locked! Then
> calculate the HP based on that number instead of using the actual
> amperage at the rated RPM. So you get compressor motors listed as 5-6 HP
> on a motor that might make 3HP on a good day...

At one point I needed more air volume than my well used Ajax, 3 hp
compressor could put out.  So, right then I was going to buy a compressor,
not tomorrow or after any intelligent shopping,, THEN!!  And I did just that
a Campbell-Hausfeld being sold under the Home Sleazo banner.  6½ HP.  WRONG!
The current rating on the motor makes it right around 3 HP.   In the box
where it says "HP" it says "Special rating".  Yup one of them "Before the
smoke comes out" motors.

20 years older now and a lot smarter about such things.