[AT] OT modern computer controlls

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Mar 24 22:03:20 PDT 2017

On 3/24/2017 7:32 PM, Greg Hass wrote:
> I'll agree with Spencer on this; keep using old tractors. I have four
> farm size tractors, the newest one at 28 years the rest over 40 years.
> The newest is a JD 4255; I am told but don't know for sure, that it is
> the last series that was all mechanical. I even have to pull a knob on a
> cable to shut it off. Even the power shift is all mechanical. My IH 856
> and 574 plus my JD 3020 are over 40 years old and never heard of a
> computer. My brother on the other hand has an IH compact with 900 hours
> and has spent about $6000 dollars trying to keep the computer and
> electronic clutch working. I know some of this new stuff can be great
> when it works but for now lets hear it for the old tractors.
>         Greg Hass

I absolutely agree. I watch the videos on youtube of the farmers tearing
down the highway and fields with their high speed
computer joystick controlled tractors and it sure looks nice. But what a
nightmare it must be to diagnose and fix when
something goes wrong. My newest is a 92 model "boxcar magnum" Case IH
7130. They have a very good reputation for
long life and simplicity which is exactly what I want. I'm hoping it
will last me as long as I'm farming.
The 50+ year old Massey Super 90 never fails to keep my cattle fed all
winter. All it needs is brakes.
If the day ever comes I try to fix them I won't need a computer scan
tool to do it.

Ralph in Sask.