[AT] OT modern computer controlls

Howard Fleming hfleming at moosebird.net
Fri Mar 24 03:26:49 PDT 2017

Nothing really new to add to this, but the story is showing up on some
of the security sites I check:
https://securityledger.com/2017/03/hobbled-by-dmca-famers-are-jailbreaking-tractors/
https://securityledger.com/2017/03/right-to-repair-on-the-ropes-in-minnesota-motherboard/

and others:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150513/18001030993/john-deere-clarifies-trying-to-abuse-copyright-law-to-stop-you-owning-your-own-tractor-because-it-cares-about-you.shtml

On the subject of computerization, I have owned VWs for years (diesel up
to recently... :o(, and and while computer controls for engines, etc.,
have their good points, "why" does my radio have to talk to the system?
Makes is a real pain to add a cd changer to a stock VW radio.... (in the
past).

For a tractor reference, my 48 Ford 8N has no need for it.... :o).

Howard