[AT] OT modern computer controlls

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Thu Mar 23 10:19:03 PDT 2017

I am dealing with a similar issue currently with my truck.
The radio is broken.  It plays but the display panel doesn't
light up 70% of the time and some of the buttons don’t work.
I bought a remanufactured and upgraded unit from a place in Richmond VA for
a reasonable price.  I can install it myself, it's easy, but in order
to get it to function I have to take it to a GM dealer and pay them
to hook their computer to my truck and tell the anti-theft system that it's
ok
for that particular radio chassis to work in my truck.  The basic hourly
shop rate
for the dealers around here is about 1/3 to 1/2 of the price I paid for the
radio.
THAT is if I can find one that will do the job for the minimum rate of 1
shop hour.
It's ridiculous.  When I bought the reman radio I knew that was the case but
I thought
there was a way around it.  Turns out, there is a way around it for SOME GM
radios but
apparently not for the one in my truck.

That's not nearly as bad or as expensive an issue as trying to fix a JD
tractor but it's still
ridiculous.  I had an air bag impact sensor go out recently.  All I needed
to know was which
one to replace.  My tire dealer (A FRIEND OF MINE) charged me 60 bucks to
hook his scan tool
to it and tell me which sensor is bad.  That's almost as much as the sensor
costs.   I understand
that he has to pay for his scan tool but it's RIDICULOUS!

Charlie