[AT] OT modern computer controlls

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 07:19:55 PDT 2017

I don't intended to sound like I'm disagreeing with Thomas.  I think his
EPA comment does in fact apply to the basic history of modern engine
complexity.  But as usual the story is a lot more complex than that.  I
lifted the following from Wikipedia because I agree and so it saves me a
bunch of time trying to summarize what I know about Right To Repair
legislation and controversy (I work in the automotive aftermarket, and
occasionally some of this stuff touches me professionally)

"...The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments required all vehicles built after
1994 to include on-board computer systems to monitor vehicle emissions. The
bill also required automakers to provide independent repairers the same
emissions service information as provided to franchised new car dealers.
California further passed legislation requiring that all emissions related
service information and tools be made available to independent shops.
Unlike the Clean Air Act, the California bill also required the car
companies to maintain web sites which contained all of their service
information and which was accessible on a subscription basis to repair
shops and car owners.

As automotive technology advanced, computers came to control the vital
systems of every vehicle, including brakes, ignition keys, air bags,
steering mechanisms and more.[3] Repairing motor vehicles became a
high-tech operation, with computer diagnostic tools replacing a mechanic's
observation and experience.[4] These developments eventually made
manufacturers the "gatekeepers" of advanced information necessary to repair
or supply parts to motor vehicles..."

Link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Vehicle_Owners'_Right_to_Repair_Act

SO