[AT] OT modern computer controlls

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Wed Mar 22 19:10:27 PDT 2017

Thomas Mehrkam wrote:
> They should be required to make the tools available at a "reasonable
> cost".  There are already laws guaranteeing owners the right to
> repair their cars.  If you want access to the dealer documentation or
> tools you have to purchase them. Of course what is reasonable to a
> third party repair facility is usually not reasonable for an
> individual.  That is why many third party scan tools can only decode
> the standard codes and functionality required by law and do not have
> access to dealer codes.

You can get tools with full access but you had better set down when you
hear the price.

Scan tool to replace my antique that can no longer be updated was
$9,750.00 with trade in. Plus the updates are subscription based at
around $800.00 a month.
Replacement laptop and Tech2Win hardware $1,200.00 + a monthly access fee.

Plus monthly fees to AlldataPro, ProDemand and Hollander

And I'm not even running a full time shop anymore...

--
Steve W.