[AT] Points

toma at risingnet.net toma at risingnet.net
Thu Mar 9 10:27:19 PST 2017

On Thu, 9 Mar 2017, Ron Cook wrote:

> I can certainly buy the use of tungsten, but not the reason.  The
> hammering would seem to me to be the same in either application. I
> rather suspect tungsten is much cheaper than platinum and iridium.  I am
> not educated in these electrical things, but I can certainly follow the
> dollar.  My old platinum points just seem to last forever whereas modern
> point sets do not.

I no longer buy new points if I can help it. It seems like they are all
plated. If a mag or distributor has the old points in it that are made
from thick material, I take them out and reface them with a dremmel if
necessary.

It seems like the move to plated points came about the time when cars and
trucks went to electronic ignition. I look at it like an attempt to kill
off the good old stuff and make us buy the new stuff.