[AT] Points

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 04:34:08 PST 2017

Ivan's "emergency" ignition system is pretty interesting; never heard of
that before.

John, I do own a points file but I'd have to go digging to find it.  I use
a piece of "wet-or-dry" sandpaper (dry of course) with a grit somewhere
either 400 or 600.  I'm reluctant to take off too much material.  Points
contacts used to be made of a multi-layer material with copper core (heat
transfer) then some silver-cadmium alloy in a measureable thickness, not
just a plating.  That stuff has some magic metallurgical property that
resists corrosion, resists micro-welding if there's any arcing, and resists
or prolongs that inevitable material transfer (those hills and valleys, the
reason you eventually need to file them)

Now I just said "used to be made of" because I strongly suspect the cadmium
has been removed and along with it goes some or all of the magical
properties.  So they're more prone to all the bad stuff mentioned above.  I
think my points must be new enough to be made of the inferior materials.
But they have very low hours and show no signs of wear and pitting.

I was curious to see if others have similar trouble, and if there are
clever solutions.  I realize I really should lean towards that Pertronix
electronic ignition retrofit.

SO