[AT] ATIS still in Business????

John Hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Tue Mar 7 18:19:21 PST 2017

Dad has a IH 454 utility with somewhere around 8,000 hard hours (we
ain't talking mowing horse pastures). The front end has had a lot of
wobble for the last 25 years--but since we quit large scale farming, we
no longer run 20mph with it down the highway. The steering on this
machine is hydraulic. The yoke and the anchor for it had gotten worn
about 1/16 out of round. This translated to a LOT of slop at the wheels.
It was getting hard to drive in a straight line at field speed. I had to
rebuild the steering cylinder this winter and while I was at it I bored
and made bushings for that end. Also, the cylinder pivot had lost a
bushing from one side--don't ask how cause I have NO idea. Anyway, made
a bushing for that also. Now the steering is as tight as when I first
drove the tractor, 36 years ago--tractor was only 9 years old at the
time, I wasn't much older.

John Hall