[AT] Points

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Mar 7 12:01:34 PST 2017

On 3/7/2017 1:39 PM, Stephen Offiler wrote:

> Anybody else have this sort of trouble with points?  Right now, I am
> conducting an experiment.  After the last run (only a few weeks ago) I took
> a piece of jute and soaked it with WD-40 then stuck it between the points
> before I buttoned the cap back on and walked away.  At the moment I don't
> know if this actually works;  a proper test probably entails letting it sit
> 4-6 months.  Ideas?
>
> SO
Its funny,  between my two almost identical Cockshutt tractors (40 and
50) the 40 would go forever without
even needing to open the distributor. Yet the 50 often needed points
cleaned, or replaced. Since I've converted
the 50 to 12 volts I have not looked inside it's distributor for years now.
Seems to me a piece of newspaper pulled through the points was usually
my first attempt to clean. If that
wasn't enough I'd get out the points file and do a little work.
I'm just glad its not the "divers helmet " distributor on the 39 Ford
flathead V8.

Ralph in Sask.