[AT] sharp turns with a baler

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Fri Jun 30 15:24:03 PDT 2017

A few years ago I was South of Stillwater, OK  on US177,  a 4 lane hwy
construction zone diverted to 2 lanes.   Traffic was moving at about
45mph.  A Dodge 3/4 ton was coming up fast from behind and passing cars
behind me.   It passed me and then tried to pass the 2nd car in front of
me.  When it pulled back into the lane of traffic, a mid sized Honda car
hit the Dodge just in front of the left rear wheel with the left front
bumper of the Honda.  Immediately, the Dodge pickup tail went in the
air, and  the truck pivoted 360 deg about the left front corner and came
back down sitting in lane of traffic. By this time I was in the borrow
ditch next to the fence!  The drive shaft was in the opposite ditch.

I checked on the drivers of both vehicles, and the Honda driver was
shaken, the Pickup driver was pissed and calling her husband and telling
her kid to pick up all the Cd's and tapes that were in a rubbermaid
container in the back of the pickup.  I noticed a used dealer tag on the
pickup.  She had just traded the pickup and was in a hurry to get home.
The Honda was driven by a lady with 4 kids in the car.  I had a fellow
engineer with me, but he missed the real exciting part of the wreck.
I made a quick investigation and found the drive shaft was one piece and
it was a long bed truck standard cab.  The drive shaft pulled out of the
transmission when the Honda hit the left rear wheel.  The long drive
shaft stuck in the new soft asphalt ( remember construction zone) and
pole vaulted the rear end of the truck in the air.   I wish I had one of
those dash cams back then.

Cecil in OKla