[AT] Spam> Re: sharp turns with a baler

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Jun 30 07:19:35 PDT 2017

On 6/30/2017 7:20 AM, Greg Hass wrote:
> Ralph, you were lucky, a few years ago I was running the corn chopper
> for my cousin and the bolt that held the hitch bracket to the tongue of
> the chopper broke and the pto pulled apart. It was 1000 rpm and swung
> around and hit the drawbar and broke the pto shaft off the tractor flush
> with the housing of the tractor. Not a cheap repair.
>        Greg Hass
You are right Greg. I know that should have been a lot more destructive
than it was but once again, I got lucky.
I've heard of people being injured working on older open tractors (like
my Cockshutts) when  a shaft becomes
disconnected from the machine and the tractor spins  it around hitting
anything that gets in the way until the
operator shuts it off (or it breaks).  The new u joint and yoke was
expensive enough from Ford  New Holalnd
and in hindsight I should have tried a more local bearing shop. It might
have been less.
Its time to hitch up to the haybine again for another haying  season
now. Short crop this year with the lack of
rain.

Ralph in Sask.

---
http://www.avg.com