[AT] Gearbox breather plug

Mike M meulenms at gmx.com
Sun Jun 11 21:34:32 PDT 2017

Hi all, I have JD 513 rotary mower, and am getting set to cut my fields
while we have a dry spell. When I first bought the mower, the oil was
milky, so I changed it, and it ran fine for the next 3 years.  Today, I
checked the oil, and the level was fine, but it was milky again. It's
either been stored under cover, or had a 5 gallon plastic pail over the
gearbox. I noticed one thing in particular tonight, and that is the
gearbox is not vented. Neither the fill or the check plugs have breather
holes in them. I bought this at an auction so the previous history is
unknown, but I was under the impression that all gearboxes needed a way
to vent. I'm not losing oil through any seals at this point, so that is
good. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike M

---