[AT] Wheel bearings

Tyler Juranek tylerpolkaman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 18:41:47 PDT 2017

Hello all,
Now that I have the steering fixed in my oliver, I have been running
it up and down the road, uphill and downhill, quite often lately, as
the 50 mile tractor ride I go on each summer is this next Saturday,
June 10.
I hired the work done by one of the people that I know from the
tractor shows we go to around here. He did an amazing job, it took two
new bearings in the steering sector.
Anyway, my question deals with wheel bearings.
The oliver 88 opperators manual says that the wheel bearings use engine oil.
I have a feeling that since most wheel bearings use grease, they
probably put grease in them.
There seems to be some vibration in the steering wheel, like the front
wheels are having trouble moving freely. As I am driving along with
someone on the buddy seat, they say the front wheels are moving great.
So, does it really matter if there is oil or grease in them?
Of course, it could be that some grease needs to be added to the
steering box again, but with a 50 mile ride in store for the tractor,
I don't want to ruin the $175 a piece wheel bearings over something
stupid like not using the right lubricants. Grease and oil mix, so if
it is something I need to change, it shouldn't be hard to mix it up.
But since the pair of eyes says the wheels look good, it is the old
saying, "If it works, don't fix it."
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Tyler Juranek