[AT] Just won 3 pearl tractors - trailer and storage questions

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sun Jul 30 03:35:36 PDT 2017

Henry Miller wrote:
> My Great-uncle made many tractors, he died in 1985 when I was 10-11. When I was 7 or 8
> I drove his Titan all by myself. (I might not remember these years right), his wife promptly
> sold all his tractors at an auction (for far less than they should have gone for if she used an
> auctioneer who knew how to contact collectors). Every since I've wanted one.
>
> Thursday I had some in insomnia and checked ebay - something I NEVER do, and 3 of
> them were up for sale: one with hydraulics (made to run his wood splitter), a scale John
> Deere D, and a scale Titan (not the one I first drove, that was sold a few weeks after I
> drove it and then he made this one) . I shared the link with my family on facebook
> immediately. My second cousins were all excited "you found Grandpa tractors!", but I
> don't think any of them were interested in having them, they just love the memories. I
> think they will agree when I say they wouldn't maintain them correctly. There is one cousin
> who could but he doesn't get on facebook much, and anyway his dad bought the tractor
> made for him, and thus he has the only tractor that remained in the family.
>
> After looking at my long term non-retirement savings and discussing things with my wife I
> decided to buy all 3. My wife only said that I couldn't put them in her place in the garage.
> We agreed on a price, I just need to sell some stock to get the cash and then pick them
> up, so things are on a hold until Monday.
>
> Next step is get a trailer, so I can get them.  I can rent one for about $100/weekend, is it
> even worth having my own? The obvious advantage of having my own is when I want it I
> have it, but then I have to license and maintain it. Also if I buy one I'll have it setup for a
> tricycle tractor (tilt bed?) instead of trying to rig up a third ramp when I want to haul
> them.
>
> Once they are home I need storage. I can put them under the deck, but rain will get on
> them. Any advice on what the best cheap storage is until I can budget a read shed?

Hit craigslist or the local trailer sales outfit and buy an enclosed
trailer. That gives you a way to get the tractors and a place to store
them. If you need a trailer again you have one, plus a way to take the
tractors to shows, add a bunk and some trimmings and you have a place to
stay during the show as well...

--
Steve W.